Re: Re: HW as a concept, and _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:06:16 +0100 (BST)

Tim Ellis:
> The question that started this whole thread was along the lines of "My
> players have gained 4 cows following a succesful raid. How much does
> thre wealth go up?"

Indeed.

> It is also possible to increase the size of your
> heard by purchasing cows, and it is possible to purchase items without
> reducing your wealth score. so *if* you have a direct corrolation
> between Cows and Wealth then it is possible to increase your Wealth
> Score over time for very little effort. I have certainly played in
> games where players might choose to indulge themselves in this sort of
> behaviour with minimal GM interference ("If you want to keep track of
> all those cows then fine...") - In other games it mayh not be so much
> of a problem.

But you Wealth score doesn't track your cows -- it tracks your (dramatic pause) wealth. The idea that anyone in their right mind would allow spending wealth to buy something would in and of itself increase your wealth is so silly that I couldn't imagine _anyone_ considering this as a "good narrative reason" for doing do, with or without a table of "how much wealth might my Wealth represent".

Incidentally such a table would also be handy as an alternative mechanism for assessing whether a "major purchase" ought to reduce your wealth or not (though that, at least, we have some sort of mechanism for)