Re: HW as a concept, and _Adding_ abilities, wealth and wells

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:31:00 +0200

Just a quickie (more later !!). ;-)

Garreth (?) :

> > pause) wealth. The idea that anyone in their right mind would allow
> > spending wealth to buy something would in and of itself increase
> your
> > wealth is so silly that I couldn't imagine _anyone_ considering this
> > as a "good narrative reason" for doing do, with or without a table
> of
> > "how much wealth might my Wealth represent".
>
> The pelts-for-beads example is exactly such a situation. As soon as
> the transaction has occurred, the wealth of both parties increases.
> Or at least, could do if they spend the HP.

Not according to the Wealth rules of HW, specifically based on bartering.

"The normal way of trading is to barter goods (or services) for items of equal wealth, rather than selling them and accumulating the wealth." HW:RiG p. 37.

Wealth is produced by farms, herds, mines, distilleries, thievery, beggary, and other such sources of income. Pelts and beads hardly qualify IMO.

Julian Lord