Re: Re: Increasing abilities was: Wealth without Loot

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:48:54 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> The standard ways to improve abilities (and worse, affinities) are
> too slow, but there are shortcuts. HeroQuests are obvious (but the
> Quest Challenge problem may have spurred this whole ability/wealth
> debate)

So I was told. However, you may recall I raised the problems of Quest Challenges increasing the ability wagered (double it or lose it). The reply was that Quest Challenges don't increase the ability you wager, but instead give you new abilities. If so, a Quest Challenge can not make your best ability better (that is, give you rapid advancement); it can only broaden your stock of good or OKish abilities (not a bad thing in itself). So Quest Challenges are not the solution to the problem.

> directed improvement, etc. If your narrator WANTS you to
> have a higher ability, then *phoom!* you have a higher ability!

Yes, but that almost totally takes control away from the players and into the hands of the Narrator. I wouldn't want that.

[discussion of Stormbringer example]
OK, the example of Stormbringer was OTT, but I hope you see the validity of my point.

Cementing can short change increases got using the normal ability increase rules.