"Adding" abilities

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:11:32 -0000

> Let me just make perfectly clear that I *am* advocating
> dropping the "sell for 1/10 value" rule. Wealth was treated
> as a special case for "cementing" in 1st ed. I'm suggesting
> not doing so.

Way back when, I started the thread on Quest Challenges that became the long running Wealth thread. There is still one important question out there.

Say that, on a quest challenge, a character wins and the wagered abilities are similar enough that it is arguable the winner can "add" the rating to their own existing rating. Has there been any discussion for the HW2 rules whether a) this should be allowed or disallowed and b) if allowed, what is the mechanism. I am not looking for the proposed solution (though I would welcome knowing), just for the yes/no answers.

It has become obvious to me that just arithmetically adding the two ratings to get a new rating is unfair and unbalancing and I have changed my mind from my starting position. I now advocate that the new rating should be the sum of the higher of the two ratings and (the lower rating divided by 5). This compensates for the extreme risk and HP that should be spent on a quest challenge.

There are many here who argue cogently that this too is overkill when the lower rating is in the w2+ range.

regards,
Charles