Re: "Adding" abilities

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:35:42 +0100 (BST)

> It has become obvious to me that just arithmetically adding the two
> ratings to get a new rating is unfair and unbalancing and I have
> changed my mind from my starting position. I now advocate that the
> new rating should be the sum of the higher of the two ratings and
> (the lower rating divided by 5). This compensates for the extreme
> risk and HP that should be spent on a quest challenge.
>
> There are many here who argue cogently that this too is overkill when
> the lower rating is in the w2+ range.

Indeed. Do people think a table is really too fussy a mechanic to use to add abilities? Or are people simply getting nervous when Julian or I start going on about the logarithmic bases of such tables? (Or is it just the Conservative Tribemen Revolt, cos it's In Their Idiom thing again...) I feel waves of hostility against these suggestions, but I quite honestly don't know _why_ people dislike them.

(Bear in mind that this is essentially a "down-time" mechanic -- this isn't something you'd ever need to do in the actual midst of active play.)