RE: Increasing abilities

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:49:05 +0100

Benedict wrote:

> Now, in general we need some rules for allowing more rapid increase
> in abilities. Why? As the rules stand, it will take about 1 year
> (real time) playing one episode a week (183 HP), to raise a starting
> character to the point where they can learn the cult secret and inter-
> act at 'tribal' level (1W2 in 3 affinities) ... clearly there must be
> mechanisms for increasing abilities more rapidly.

When this was raised in con discussions and on mailing lists, Greg and Eric Rowe said they intended Narrators to allow players to increase their heroes' abilities *far* faster than the published character development rules would allow, through HeroQuests and the like. I don't know how well this works given the bizarre HQ ability-increase rules we ended up with (see CC posts passim) -- I suspect the editor's left hand didn't know what the author's right hand was doing at this point -- and probably whatever balance Robin had intended was already shot when Mastery levels turned from exotic heroic traits into commonplace features of clan and tribal life.

In essence, let's hope HW2 does a better job of allowing heroes to advance to the level of competence that planned and published scenarios will assume, within a reasonable number of gaming sessions. It can't be *that* hard to arrange!

Cheers, Nick