Ranged Combat

From: zero-c_at_...
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:08:58 -0000

Dear group!
I have some problems with how to resolve ranged combat situations.The extended-contest-rules for close combat work fine,as long as you have an attacker and a defender.
This is not the case with most ranged combat situations.The FAQ list on the Issaries homepage state,that you resolve situations,where an attacker shoots at somebody,who is just doing nothing,as a simple contest or an abilitytest.
Okay,letīs say,I shoot at someone,assuming the target is just standing there(maybe unaware of the attack or maybe canīt move,because he is frightened to death)and gets a normal success.The resistance for the target is the plain default of 6(obviously for everybody:humans,trolls,dragons,gods...maybe augmented with alittle bit of „Large"?).So if the target gets a failure versus my success,the result is a minor victory,which means:hurt (–1)...and if I shoot another missile at my poor victim,does that mean he will be,with the same result,be at –2???
If I get a critical versus a failure,the result is a major victory,meaning:injured (–50% of ability)...The only occasion,I get a complete victory (i.e.dying)is:a critical versus a fumble...I canīt believe that!It makes lethal attacks quite rare.... Also what kind of a weapon I use,is totally ignored,wether it is a throwing knife,an arrow,a crossbow,a mostali musket or an AK-47-same result for every weapon,the same with armour....I think this is just plain stupid....
Any ranged attack should be more lethal than the rules at this level state and the kind of weapon I use,should affect the woundlevel.How about adding the weaponrank to the attack and the armourrank to the resistance?And how do you„add" two major voctories?Do two victories sum up to a complete victory(-50%ability + -50%= -100%=dead)??? Or am I getting something wrong?Canīt you play such situations with rules,do you have to narrate it?
peace
Christian