Re: Re: Increasing abilities [was: Wealth]

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:17:46 +0100

Ian Cooper wrote:
> Uh, IIRC we still cement individual items (though we do
> disagree with others about whether an item is cemented at a starting
> level). However by our convention we would get Big Block of Gold 12,
> which does look slightly odd

I have the suspicion that that particular house rule is due to me. I am not so sure the rule is a good one, however. I was rather hoping someone could suggest a better one.

Note that the rule becomes worse as the characters develop (that is, as their abilities become further from 12). Cementing items seems rare in our games, but the scrabbling to cement followers is almost unseemly! I think this is because the 'ability' you get from a follower (best rating - 8) is so much higher than 12.

I suspect a good cementing rule would take into account the ability rating of the character and the ability rating being cemented. Neither the standard HW rule, nor our house rule, does so.