Re:Ranged Combat

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:50:18 -0000

> One other old suggestion (Phillip Hibbs IIRC) is that in an
extended
> contest, give missiles a very high edge (say ^10) - This means the
> archer does not have to bid high to get a high result, which means
he
> is less likely to put himself out of the contest...

I think Edge is underutilised, so I am reasonably warm to the idea.

My own proposal for ranged combat went as follows: Treat the attack as a "physical agent" ala DragonPass, generated by the shooter, with their AP and TN. The "physical agent" does the attacking on behalf of the shooter; the shooter is never "exposed to danger" nor even necessarily in the fight. If the physical agent is destroyed, they have run out of ammo or similar. Conduct the conflict between the PA and the target normally; the targets efforts to close the gap, if any, can be dealt with as a seperate issue. If the shooter is physcially attacked, they may still defend themselves because it was their physical agent which was defeated, not them. They enter a new, h2h, contest.

In cases where you have shooters providing fire support for engaged allies, just add the AP of the shooter to an ally as if it were a follower. IMHO, anyway.