Re: Re: Wergilds

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:14:13 +0100 (BST)

Writing without access to Thunder Rebels, but based on recent discussion: if an average Heortling carl owns 42 cows and has a wergild of 25 cows, we know that wergild for the most common social class is less than "pure" property. (The carl of course has a "Wealth" greater than 42 cows -- he does have other possessions).

And if 42 cows invested over ten years make 25 cows' income (per Charles Corrigan), we have the basis for a sustained onslaught on the underpinnings of Orlanthi economics. Not that I encourage this :-)

> No - but as has been pointed out repeatedly, when we talk
> about "cows" we are not REALLY talking about cows.

No, we are talking about "cows-plus-stuff". Wergild is set at "less-than-just-cows". Discuss.

> Well, I happily concede the point. If those were not intended by the
> authors to be signposts, then we are indeed missing information

Sure looks like it.

Cheers, Nick