Re: Ability advancement

From: ryan.caveney_at_...
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:15:17 -0000

Oh! That's good. I must have missed that. I'll look again.

> On one hand you say that folks should be slowed down adn on the
> other you complain that heroes don't advance fast enough. This
> is... odd to see.

Well, it's like Goldilocks -- there's too fast, and there's too slow, and maybe somewhere in between we can find just right; furthermore, where "just right" lies will depend on the gaming group, both wrt what the players want to feel like and how often they can meet. Or as Bryan Thexton put it:

> It is really the same issue any other game has, be it role playing
> or computer game or even to some degree many board games. They have
> to set the advancement rate that seems to fit well for the steady
> player, or else things feel silly to them. Then the less regular
> player feels things move too slowly.

Also, I want to encourage people to have lots of moderate-quality skills rather than just one thing they're really, really good at, even if they are creative enough to use it to do everything. This makes the "hobby skills" and undefined references (iow, "roleplaying hooks") less obviously disadvantaged wrt powergamerism.

In any case, my real problem is that since the ability scores are logarithmic, a constant rate of HP expenditure is really an exponential rate of growth in real power: each successive +1 gives you a bigger boost than the last in terms of character-visible things like how much he can bench-press or how fast she can run a marathon, because it's really +10% of your current ability, and successive percentage additions combine like compound interest: ten increases of +50% each are not a +500% overall increase, they're a +6000% overall increase! This is why allowing arbitrarily many augmentations to the same ability is somewhat dangerous.

Ryan Caveney