Augment variation

From: Stephen McGinness <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:47:41 -0000

I have been play-testing the rules for my group again and augmentation is still an issue for me. I have had a few thoughts but I wondered whether anyone had considered modifiying the dice rather than the target number.

Consider the situation where Strawman (close combat 6) fights with Iron Hand (close combat 17).

Sure Iron hand has a better chance of success in the fight but for 10 of those success rolls he has a 30% chance of being beaten (straw man rolls 1-6 on a D20). Augmenting doesn't really influence his success chances too much.

If the augment reduced the dice result, e.g. a 3 augment would reduce a die result of 8 to 5 would be far better. It would mean that the augment would have a real effect.

I haven't had time to do the math and unsure exactly where to start. Anyone have any idea whether this would be a good rule change for augment??

Stephen