Re: Re: Ability advancement

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:45:52 +0100

bethexton_at_... wrote:
> Although if you really want to play somewhat heroic figures, announce
> that this will be the nature of the campaign (or a new campaign), and
> make heros with, say, 15W2 best skill

Well, da roolz start with 5W and the first Sartar Rising! book appears to be set at the same level, so the implication is that 5W is the expected starting ability of characters. Yet Greg seems to also want characters to interact at the higher levels, even with the possibility of becoming an Argrath. That suggests that Greg's intent is that it IS possible to rise from 5W to 5W3. I've been told that heroquesting is the way to do this, and that some modifications to the HQ rules will show how. Alas, we don't have those rules yet (lets hope they are in HW2) so we can't pick over then to see if they will actually work as intended.

If those reports are accurate, it means that very powerful characters (true Heroes) will be 'lumpy': they will be very good (super human) at a small number of abilities, but normal at most others. I have nagging concerns that this might make scenario design difficult: if the Hero can apply one of their super human abilities, its a walk over, otherwise its a terrible defeat.