Re: Re: improvisation

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:50:52 +0100 (BST)

Benedict Adamson:
> Edge effects are bad. As the rules stand, there is not a smooth
> transition from certainly able to do something, through probably.
> Wulf cites trivial examples, but its the extreme examples which test
> the rules and show any problems in the starkest light. If one decided
> to use even an extended contest for those trivial examples, the
> outcome should be almost the same, only the narative and dramatic
> aspects should be different. The 'self respecting hero' rule should
> be only an optimization.

In theory, I agree with you. In practice, I've never yet met a system with a choice of different resolution mechanics that avoided this. (HW at least has the "cover story" of 'narrativism', whereby one might argue that the choice of different resolution mechanisms _should_ effect the result. (Personally it's not a rationale I much care for.))