Re: Hero Quest Challenge rules variants

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:41:12 +0100 (BST)

> I agree in general that 'doubling' is in some sense about X+10, but I
> suspect this seems mean for quest challenges. After all, if you've just
> risked a W3 ability, and have the choice of a new W3 ability or a +10,
> which seems the better investment?

True, but the case where you've "only" risk a 12 point ability is very different. Should _that_ be worth a +12?

> My own, off the cuff, solution is to allow doubling, but to cap the
> increase somewhere around the mastery level (ie. X+20).

Would it work better for you if doubling "worked out at" +W, and lesser "adds" something proportionately less, say? (That way you'd have some incentive to stake something other than 20 point abilities every time...)