Re: Re: cementing; ease of use

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:40:53 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> BUT...
Yes, these are disadvantages, but they are small. Much smaller than the effective change from 13 to 1W.

> 1) He has an easily removable (well, removable...) Magic Sword ability

Not true. Abilities are abilities are abilities. Hero Wars is not Champions: there are no rules for the item being an Obvious Accessible Focus. And introducing an OAF rule means opening a can of worms (including evil simulationism).

> 2) It only works on one weapon/style

Not a disadvantage at all. But if you insist, imagine the item was a Torq of Authority instead of a Magic Sword, and the roles are reversed. No styles for Clan relationship, so the issue becomes irrelevant.

> 3) he cannot learn new styles at this level (and you MIGHT say he
> can't improve the new ability either)

Its not that difficult for a clever player to justify increasing the ability rating of an item. See the recently posted descriptions of game world justifications for how an Item of Great Power might still have a rating of 12, for examples.

> 4) He can't easily improvise from it

No need to improvise WITHIN combat. As I've mentioned elsewhere, a clever player can improvise use of an ability in a surprisingly wide array of situations.

> 5) Being magical, he can't augment magic with it (OK, so it doesn't
> count as his sole mundane augment either)

Well, augmentation isn't all that worthwhile anyway. Some Narrators allow augmentation of magic with magic (I do). But imagine it was a Well-crafted Foreign Sword instead of a Magic Sword.