Re: Augment variation

From: Stephen McGinness <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:47:07 -0000

> Yes, it is true that if he gives himself a +2, if he rolls an 18 or
> 19 while straw man rolls a 1-6, he will still get beaten, but not as
> badly: in an extended contest he forfeits fewer AP, and in a simple
> one ends up dazed rather than hurt, or hurt rather than injured.
> But he also increases his chance of winning, because when he rolls
> 18 or 19 straw man is more likely to roll 7-19, in which case he
> wins (the exchange) instead of losing. It's not that bad a deal.

But how much. Straw man augmenting for 2 points increases his chances far more than iron hand does. (I think!)

> Yes, it could have an immense effect: among other things, even a -1
> to the die roll means he can no longer fumble, and has doubled his
> chance of a critical; given a skill of 17, he would normally need a

I think I was thinking of going along the lines of natural 1 or 20 always critical or fumble (unless masteries interfere!)

> +5 to get that effect. The real trouble comes when *both* sides
> augment in this fashion: you end up with vastly many more situations
> where both sides critical than you meet under standard rules. This

I reckon that is only true if the critical chance is increased - if that is kept at 1 in 20 (unmodified by masteries) then there is no problem in that respect?

> It would certainly make small augmentations much more powerful. The
> questions are whether it makes them too powerful, and whether you
> can live with the side effects (more ties/transfers).

I might try it and see...from the limited play we've had I think my players are unlikely to augment much - they don't feel that the risk is worth the effort. Now this certainly makes the gaming easier - less die rolling but I think it loses some of the flavour of the system - if I could demonstrate some definite advantage then they might be more inclined to use the rules other than when they are in dire straits.

Stephen