Re: Re: Narrativism, again.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:04:06 +0100 (BST)

> > the underlying concepts, e.g. of episodic play are nothing that
> > required "this is a whole new type of role-playing" rhetoric about
> > it.
>
> P'raps - but that is not the interesting bit, the interesting bit is
> the change in the function of the mechanics from "modelling the
> world" to "modelling the character". The use of wealth as an ability
> IS precisely the shift in emphasis which the rhetoric correctly
> lauded.

Again, I don't see how that's a "useful" definition. Nor is it an applicable one to HW, which in several places is clearly "modelling the world", in greater or lesser degree. (It also seems a curiously irregular word formation if "narrative" means "pertaining to characters". You'd think it'd have something to do with, well, the narrative...)

> > Experiencing _what_ difficulty?
>
> The difficulty grokking how Wealth works in HW

Oh, I grok it just fine, thanks. But how did we get back to that topic?