Re: What use is a wyter?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:08:48 +0100

Peter Larsen wrote:
> A couple of points -- the wyter communicates clearly only
> with the leader of the group it serves.
> only the the leader (possibly sleeping off a
> drunk) will know that the Black Oaks are attacking from the west.

My question, was what use is a wyter GAME MECHANICALLY. In the case of a drunk leader, the Narrator has decided that the wyter has no game mechanical effect.

> It may also be possible for the raiders to augment their
> magic with time and place modifiers... or get a big bonus
> against their neighbor's wyters by performing some sort of ritual.
> If you've been raiding your neighbors for a couple of hundred
> years, you probably have some idea what there wyter is like and how
> to avoid or weaken it.

> Also, cattle raiding is an appropriate Orlanthi action --
> maybe some or most wyters don't really notice raiding or figure that

I'll have to reread the ritual rules. I didn't think they provided such a benefit. Still, only your clan's neighbours will know those kinds of tricks. The wyter is still an 'automatic success' magic radar against enemies from further afield or different intentions.

> Assuming it's an augmentation-providing wyter.
[and provides an]
> ability that is useful in a typical pc-involved contest. If the

And if it isn't, then no game mechanical effects, which is my point.

> It also seems to me that, if the wyter offers a combat
> ability... it may be
> necessary for the wyter to be in or near the combat. Which means
> there is a chance that the wyter will get
> killed/captured/neutralized/etc.

All good dramatic and plot things to do. But irrelevant to game mechanics as such.