Re: becoming a Hero

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:32:27 -0000

> Just reaching heroic ability ratings does not make a capital-H Hero.
> The hero must create some mechanism to distribute the benefits of
> their heroic abilities. My idea is the potential Hero should create
> a magical organisation with himself as the wyter, using some
> variation of the Foundation ritual used to create a new clan. The
> initial members of the community would be his followers but
> afterwards anyone could join.

I seem to recall the definition of a Hero - or one of them is that they can be worshipped and a useable benifit occurs to those who worship them. It may be something as simple as 'cure hangover' or something more sophisticated as 'Journey to the Pole-Star.'

In many ways, group support (especially extraordinary commitment) is worship of the celebrant. When the hero starts to be able to give somethign back tangible, they've deifinitely arrived.

> This would obviously cost large numbers of hero points. 1 each for
> the hero and each of his followers to join the community. Many more
> for the foundation ritual itself.

Or a significant or rare (and unique?) heroquest that has brought a prize that the now big-H Hero can share with those who worship him? And unlike a usualy quest, its a permanent benifit for that group.

> The benefits for the hero are community support for his actions,
> automatic access to their otherworld and a place to call their own
> there.

And, of course, the worship and adoration of dozens. Scores even...!

> The benefits for the followers would be a cult that teaches a single
> feat related to the heroic ability of the Hero. I suspect that this
> feat would be limited to a maximum of the hero's ability less 1
> mastery.

Well, its possible that the students can always exceed the master - especially if they just have a narrow focus. A single feat. But I would agree that the best ability would cap at 10w2 as this is the maximum allowed for _initiates_ - if someone was devoted to you, they might very well exceed their mentor.

> The above is thought out mainly from Heortling point of view. Each
> culture has different drives and goals that influence why and how
> someone becomes a Hero. For Malkioni, the benefits are a Node on
> either the Saint plane or Adept plane and the avoidance of age. For
> Lunars, becomming a Hero is a step on the way to godhood.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> regards,
> Charles

Very well put.