Re: cementing; ease of use

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:13:01 -0000

Not really. If someone cements an item that gives 'magic sword' and they lose their magic sword, then they can't use that ability till they get it back.

However, since its on the character sheet and the hero paid points for it, they usually can get thees things back - which is usually an adventure in itself.

> > 2) It only works on one weapon/style
>
> Not a disadvantage at all. But if you insist, imagine the item was a
> Torq of Authority instead of a Magic Sword, and the roles are
> reversed. No styles for Clan relationship, so the issue becomes
> irrelevant.

Sometimes authority is irrelevant and persuasion is much more useful. And, since you can't improvise as well from an item, you're in trouble. Personally, I'd rather have the torc.

> Its not that difficult for a clever player to justify increasing the
> ability rating of an item. See the recently posted descriptions of
> game world justifications for how an Item of Great Power might still
> have a rating of 12, for examples.

Sure! Which represents more effective use of the powers the item gives him... which is why we usually start a cemented item at 12.

> Well, augmentation isn't all that worthwhile anyway. Some Narrators
> allow augmentation of magic with magic (I do). But imagine it was a
> Well-crafted Foreign Sword instead of a Magic Sword.

Hmm. We've found augmentation quite useful in our game over the last few years. Particularly if the heroes have time to 'powerup' before the ambush or raid. I don't allow augmentation of magic with magic but that sword COULD augment the heroe's own close combat quite nicely.

Jeff