Re: Ability advancement

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:37:11 -0000

Many, many, many heropoints seem to go to bump-ups or to brushing up on other 'secondary' skills. I don't thnk I've ever heard of a player who's gone in for a single skill/ability exclusively. Or how such a person would survive if they were in some other situation. I'd be a very bored player, I think.

I've seen +2 and +3(rarely) but usually those are either from directed HP or a hero with a serious hobby.

> My players will be lucky to get +15 in a heavily used and HP
bough-up
> ability in one calendar year.

We run a bit more frequently - we're on that 'real time' thing. I think we get that in a season, more for completing stories or goals (directed HP). After 2 years of weekly play the highest ability was 19w2 from the Humakti (close combat) and the highest magic was 17w (from the Bear Guy) who's got 15w in the other two... he's the only person even close to getting his secret.

> Even spending 3 HP for +2 in a "related" ability every week for a
year ()
> gets only 6 masteries in your best ability (a more realistic
asymptotic
> limit).
>
> I don't believe in re-writing rules to accommodate extremes (and
making it
> break down for most groups in play) is sensible.
>
> Some problems should be dealt with if (and only if) they emerge in
play.

> Thom

Yeah, that's been my experience. Many of the supposed game-breaker problems haven't seemed to arise in actual play - for us at least.

Jeff