Re: Re: What use is a wyter?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:37:48 +0100

Jeff wrote:
> Wyter don't adapt to new situations all that well without heroquests
> and the like to bolster them with new blessings.

OK, that provides a nice reason to go on hero quests and such. It makes the wyter a plot device. But my question was, when would you use a wyter in a contest.

> "...but they aways attack from the North? What happened!?!! Why
> weren't we warned?"
> "Black oaks always come from the East."
> "Sigh. Marvos, the Wyter's broke again!"

OK, so the episode involves a sneak attack by the Black Oaks. Either the wyter detects the Black Oaks are coming (the episode begins 'The Black Oaks are coming, summon the fyrd!') or doesn't (the episode begins 'Grab your weapons, the Black Oaks are here!'). Either way, this is outside the control of the players and is just plot background for the episode. That is, the wyter's detection ability has no game mechanical effect in this situation.

[game world remarks about wyters snipped]

Imagine our heroes have just begun an extended contest (for some reason, in some situation). What ability tests might occur that used the wyter's ability ratings?