Re: self-respect

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:43:38 -0700

Benedict wrote

> If one decided
> to use even an extended contest for those trivial examples, the
> outcome should be almost the same, only the narative and dramatic
> aspects should be different. The 'self respecting hero' rule should
> be only an optimization.

I do dimly remember a game system where you started all skills at 100%, and suffered massive penalties when you used them in stress situations (or else was rolling against similar opposition), but this doesn't seem very satisfactory.

I think most game systems actually assume the "self-respecting hero" rule, even if it's not explicit. For example, RQ3 gives characters a 30% skill in their native language, but this doesn't mean they all speak like 3 year olds. In normal situations, they communicate perfectly, and the skill only comes into play in dramatic moments.

--

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_...
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com