Re: Ability advancement

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:16:21 -0400

Benedict Adamson wrote:

>The implication [in the HERO WARS rules] is that
>5W is the expected starting ability of characters.

I personally think this is too low, considering that the heroes are in theory supposed to be thane material. I changed ability TNs for beginning medium-level heroes in my house rules to one at 15w, two at 10w, four at 5w, occupational and cultural TNs at 20 and narrative TNs at 15. I want my players to have a bit more of a headstart while not being overly powerful, the chief benefit of which is that the heroes are never beyond hope of achieving secrets or high Mastery. Limiting ability increase per episode to +5 or so and doubling the default HP award would allow players to develop many abilities at once, while still permitting them to keep a small stash for those hard-to-get-out-of situations in play.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and