Re: Re: Ken and his sword

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:10:40 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> Wasn't [The Sack of Black Winds] part of his 100 words?

It was

> If so, that wasn't Cemented, it IS
> an ability, just one with a 'prop'. The difference to me is, an item
> created & defined by the narrator, & introduced in a game, can be
> cemented, and comes with a predefined rating(s), set of powers, and
> possible restrictions (like how, or if, it can be improved).

I think you could create a consistent set of rules along those lines; its how RQ and D&D handle magic items, after all. But they are not the HW1 rules as described in HW:RiG. The rules make NO distinction between (abilities and) items acquired during character generation and those acquired during play. Indeed, the rules try to be simple in this respect, reducing almost everything to an ability rating, even the gods themselves. I LIKE the core mechanic that everything is reduced to an ability rating, so I probably would not like the kind of variant rules you are proposing (but have not supplied). As my contention is that the HW cementing rules are flawed, your proposal indicates you agree with me, but perhaps disagree how to fix them.

The rules imply that 'The Wheel of Stasis' is an item that could be cemented. Now, that sounds like an ambiguous reference to me, just like 'The Sack of Black Winds'. You seem to be saying that if I were to create a character with 'Wheel of Stasis 13', and someone else in our group were to cement a 'Wheel of Stasis', we would have completely different items handled using different rules. I think that would be undesirable.