Re: sample combat feats

From: ryan.caveney_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:56:54 -0000

> Mostly, I just want to check whether these "feel right" as
> affinities and feats;

The feat names are very nice -- a good mix of poetic and straightforward, and the poetic ones are still clear enough to use.

The major difference I see between these and the Gloranthan HW theist keywords is that your affinity names are extremely poetic, while the HW affinity names are extremely prosaic. I think this will actually help you avoid the duplication you fear, because you no longer have to worry quite so much about the "but it's a feat in Orlanth's Combat affinity; why can't I cement it within Durbadath's?" overlap. However, I do worry that it may be a bit too hard to figure out how to invent entirely new feats from an affinity named "The Way of the Crane", since cranes really have no mythical associations for me. Of course, this may be just because I know nothing at all about L5R. In any case, I urge you to keep the runic equivalents as explanatory text, even if you do find a symbol set to express them.

> Fire - The Unrighteous Shall Fall - Exploit Weakness, Exploit
> Stance, Deliver Justice, Stand Alone
>
> Ancestors - Strength of Purity - Ancestral Guidance, Never Stand
> Alone, Pure Heart, No Surrender

I particularly like these two.

Ryan Caveney