Re: Defensive Edge = Min. bid?

From: ryan.caveney_at_...
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 23:19:14 -0000

> Well, the specific scenario was a poor little ol' NPC, who doesn't
> have the "Bid up to your starting AP" option and who currently has
> only 9 AP left, so he *can't* bid high, facing a Armor^10 opponent.
> By the time the NPC has reached this level, it's all over but the
> looting of the body, assuming he stays on the "hit him with a
> weapon" course. That's why he needs to think of some other way to
> fight that doesn't rely on hitting with weapons against that armor.

I knew it wasn't a *good* choice, I just wanted to check whether it was *possible*. So, since the minimum resultant bid is 1, not 0, the answer to the question posed in the subject line of this thread is clearly "No; minimum bid is 1, regardless of how immense the defensive edge becomes." I regard this as good, because it prevents the little rules hiccup of placing certain types of actors (Mindless Killing Machines (TM), for example) in a position where they simply cannot act. Of course, this leads back to the question of "If a zombie is at negative AP, but above -40, can it act?", to which my current answer is "any creature allowed to act until -N AP can at all times bid up to current AP + N."

Ryan Caveney