Re: Concurrent contests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:08:12 -0800

Rusty asked

> 1. Do I just arbitrarily decide what the river's bid is, should it be fairly
> consistent between bids, and also between characters?

You're trying to be both dramatic and fair. A character with lots of AP might find himself being drawn near some treacherous rocks (high bid), while someone who's about to drown could face a smaller challenge (you as Narrator don't really want to kill people just crossing the river).

> 2. When a hero wins an exchange, and the river's AP are depleted, this
> applies ony to 'his personal battle' with the river, right? So it has no
> impact on the other heroes' contests?

Yes.

> 3. When a character reaches the far side and wants to help a comrade, do we
> use the same AP total accumulated up to then, or is it a new contest and
> therefore are AP's replenished?

They could join in with their current AP -- presumably the difficult river crossing has tired them, so they might not have full AP. Of course, they'd probably have to use a different ability to help someone else (unless they want to jump in and swim again).

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>