Run away

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:51:52 +0000

gamartin_at_... wrote:
> [facing an opponent with a huge edge is] actually a good prompt for the
> point at which fleeing battle becomes a Good Idea - after all, you're
> going to keep your AP, and start rolling with your Run Fast, which
> can be difficult to rationalise;

What do you consider difficult to rationalize? I don't see why keeping your APs is a problem: you have plenty of space to manoeuvre and energy (high APs) or you are cornered and tired (low APs). Did you have something else in mind?

> if facing a nasty Edge, the benefit you gain by rolling a
> movement value instead of a combat value may be worth it in its owen
> right

As a GM I'd discard the defensive edge too: a large defensive combat edge due to immense armour could not help at all in a running contest

> plus the heavily armoured warrior might be penalised for
> movement by the GM.

<smirk> how very simulationist of you. </smirk>

I'd do this only if they have Heavy Armour as a disadvantage.

The most important thing to remember if GMing an attempt to flee is that Close Combat is NOT a suitable ability for preventing someone from fleeing. Either impose a hefty improvisational penalty or (my preference) do not allow use of Close Combat at all.