Re: Re: Run away

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:14:01 +0000

Not quite. As I said:
> The most important thing to remember if GMing an attempt to flee is
> that Close Combat is NOT a suitable ability for preventing someone
> from fleeing. Either impose a hefty improvisational penalty or (my
> preference) do not allow use of Close Combat at all.

Sure, your Move Fast might be worse than your Close Combat, but by changing your objective from killing your foe to running away, you force your opponent to change from using THEIR Close Combat. They have to use their Move Fast against yours. Of course, if they are superior in Close Combat AND Move fast, you are doomed. Which is how it should be...

BTW, this is a general approach to HW contests. If your opponent has a relevant ability superior to your own, find a different way of 'attacking' them so they can't use it.

IIRC, Sun Tzu had something to say along these lines. In Gloranthan terms, I think this is one of Vinga's secrets (with a small S). Vingans are second-rate warriors (but don't say that to their face). Their real advantage over other Heortlings is their use of unconventional tactics and stratagems. One of the shreds or Ernaldan femininity they retain is 'there is always another way'.