Extened contests

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:08:00 +0000

Ian Cooper wrote:
> In an extended contest you need something closer to Gareth Martin's
> suggestion - a range of abilities Hidden Rocks 3W, Dangeroous Eddy
> 2W. In turn the hero can use a range of abilities Swim, Tough, Brave
> (avoid panicking) etc.

This is important. The worst extended contest I ever GMed was when I gave the opposition a large pile of APs and a moderately high ability rating to Resist Persuasion by the players, and nothing else. The first couple of rounds were along the lines of 'I try to persuade them', 'You fail'. Then I realized the contest would need another 10 rounds. Yuck. Ian and Gareth's approach prevents this kind of problem. Indeed, if you can't resolve the contest into a set of substantially different ability tests, it could be argued it should be a simple contest.