Re: Extended contests

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 15:45:52 +0000

"MCGINNESS, Stephen" wrote:
> For an extended contest such as this it might be better for the Narrator to
> decide how long he wants the contest to go - frex 6 rounds or less. After
> six rounds the person with the most AP is the winner. This keeps the game
> flowing and allows the Narrator a bit more control over the narrative. He
> knows after three rounds most of the group should have rounded the Sky
> Stones and be on the way back to the finish line.

In our game, we have a house rule that the default AP bid (the bid if you forget to state how many APs you are bidding) is one seventh your initial AP total, rather than the 3 APs stated in HW:RiG. We also tend to adjust our bids to this benchmark. Our extended contests therefore rarely drag on, even as our characters have grown in abilities and followers.