Re: Run away

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 10:46:12 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> I'd argue against doing so.

James,

I don't think you were there for tehs session, but I tried the former one in 'The Tamlane Hills' session. My objective was a 'chase' scene where, following a battle in which a number of the heroes supporters are captured the heroes try to track/run down their assailants and free their comrades.

I ran it as an 'extended contest' battle followed by an 'extended contest' chase. Now, I think that it was not necessarily the best approach, because I think that following one extended contest with another slows the story down too much and drains the players. You need to reserve extended contests for the big scenes, the highlights of the night's session.

There are a number of better ways to run it. I cold have shifted the attackers objective part way through to flle with captives (making off with anyone below 0AP). I could have run it as simple contest fight scene followed by an extended contest chase because that's the portion of the story I wanted to tell that evening.

On that point - deciding to run a combat as simple contest has taken quite a shift in my attitude. But HW supports this well, because a complete defeat does not have to indicate death (I'd hate to kill a character in a simple contest, I feel that they should die in an extended one, YMMV).

I think Nick Brooke made the same point a while back, avoid too many extended contests in a session.