Re: Running Away don't work

From: Stephen McGinness <mcginnesss_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:09:05 -0000

<rexabean_at_o...> wrote:
> Inevitably the argument goes:
>
> GM:"They turn and try to flee"
> PC:"Woohoo, as they turn I stab them through the heart"
>
> Any suggestions ?

I had been considering this in a number of play tests of the rules I've been doing during my 'geek time' of the week. The one that sounded best to me was to use a simple contest to determine whether the attempt to change the style of the extended contest was successful.

The contest should likely be close combat vs run away. Any success on the part of the run away should be taken to mean that they have managed to disengage successfully and subsequent rounds of the extended contest should be run on that basis.

This addresses player concerns as it provides them with an active roll in the disengagement. It would also mean that units used to skirmishing might have a disengage skill that allows them to do this effectively....