Re: Running Away don't work

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:23:53 -0000

> Other people talk about the minor defeat level being interpreted as
"they got away" since they weren't injured, but my memory of minor defeat is that is "dazed and incapable of action". So they are standing there puffing, out of breath, seeing double, whatever, but can't keep on running.

But your minor defeat is dependant on the enemy's minor victory. If their intention was to chase you off, a minor victory would see you running away (but not in rout). Contest results, like history, should be written by the victors.

> My other problem is that most of my players are old RQ hacks whose
only seem to be able to think of enemy NPC's as things to kill a la RQ.

Try facing them agains an intelligent, organised opposition who will respond in kind. Most human groups will do, as would Trolls or other sentients. Make sure the group is too big to sort out all at once. Then, after the players have killed off a couple of captives, or coup de graced a couple of potential captives, have the opposition do the same, and shout out their reasons for doing so. Of course, pick on NPCs or Followers first. (Note to Andrew Graham... yes, this does sound familiar...)

Opponents who surrender and offer ransom are useful too, if the players still have the old RQ instincts.

Wulf