Re: Re: Old codgers and their ticks.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:59:27 GMT

> > > at by the other players. They can spot a fraud faster than I
> can...
> >
> > Ah yes, the old Group Laughter spe-- errrr, Feat!
>
> Don't knock it - it seems to work pretty well.

Hey, I wasn't knocking! Ticking is easy, comedy is hard, you know.

> > I've never formalised this at all, as in my last game I was still
>
> I don't think it _should_ be formallized. Particularly with some of
> the rules-abusive groups we seem to be seeing comments about.

The pattern here seems to be that everyone thinks everyone else's group is abusive, mind you. <g> (Well, mine can be abusive, but I don't think it's the rules that have to fear...)

> > a given ability was. Beyond getting the "good rate", if something
> > been especially important (e.g. the Yinkini does nothing at all, all
> > evening apart from lazing and fornicating <g>), I allow myself to be
> > cajoled into giving a "yet more reduced rate" increase, and/or a
> > free point or so. (A sort of "directed increase by request", if you
> > like.)
>
> Good point. I might allow that in theory but in practice it seems that
> players usually save up the unused HP and then using it to raise those
> hard-to-upgrade affinities.

I suppose that affinities are indeed the "hard case", and are probably the ones I tend to "discount" the most often. Maybe because it's easy to do ("You can raise that for 2HP, then" is only a mere 33% discount, after all. Easily justified by increased sales, you know.), and maybe it's because I'm Secretly Uneasy about just _how_ much affinities cost...

Then again, I've reduced abilities by fiat too. Maybe I should go off and give myself multiple "Arbitrary" ticks.