Re: Player Character's challenging societies rules

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:41:39 -0000

> and so on. Players often take so much care to make their characters
> believable given their culture that they end up with boring
> characters.

I think this is mkuch more symptomatic of people just not bothering to engage with the culture. A lot of those literary characters exist primariyl as viewpoints, and their alienation from the society around them allows the author to do a lot of exposition. But IMO it works to their detriment, makes them shallow. I find much the same with RPG characters designed as "fish out of water" and iconoclasts; to me it substantially decrases their utility in play. Instead of being real people in a real world they become acciedantal tourists making comedy faux pas and avoiding social responsibility for their actions. Its, umm "shallower", IMO.