Re: Player characters challenging societies' rules

From: Alexandre Lanciani <takenegi_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:38:49 +0100

Nick Brooke:

> Why not play a D&D Magic User who's accidentally teleported himself to
> Glorantha, if you can't be bothered to engage with Gloranthan culture,
> history and myth?
>
> Cheers, Nick

I don't think this is fair. In a campaign centered on characters challenging society rules the players must know what these rules are. This is quite different from just ignoring the rules because I want to play a stereotypical magic user of trash fantasy fame. Or not having any rule or culture for that matter at all.

Admittedly, I like these campaigns best because they allow me to expose my viewpoint. This is a matter of taste. Tension between what the character wants to do and what his culture expects from him is a great theme IMO. Isn't it a theme fitting for the Hero Wars?

--
Regards, Alexandre.
Progressive rock: a musical genre where the bass is the loudest instrument.