Social Challenges

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 21:29:36 +0000

> James wrote:

>> On the other hand, folks shouldn't feel that they have to take a
>> degree in Glorantha Canon just to play the game. Or narrate, for
>> that matter.

Nick:
> Couldn't agree more.

> But the idea that "PCs should be *encouraged* to act un-Gloranthan" is a
> real non-starter for me.

Faced with players who held nothing even close to a Glorantha introduction, I found it easier to play a cultures-light setting. Wolf Pirates see all the cultures and places, are a part of Glorantha, and form a society which every "adventurer" (the KoDP "kill'em" variety) will understand. Other organisations like the 1st ed rulesbook hero-bands cater to these gamers as well.

It is a lot easier to play an ex-clansman in a military organisation or travel agency rather than to play a character participating in (not recognizably magical) rituals (like the Greeting) the player never has heard of, and has no interest to do for quite a while.