Re: the pipes

From: craig <yausujun_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:19:01 +1300

Actually they haven't used him for that yet. Normally they just pop in a bagpipe CD and crank it up during battlescenes. Getting a bagpipe CD was the condition on getting the follower.

That particular followers other skill is 'Spin Tales'. They wanted him so everyone would know about them.

Craig

> In the group composition thread, someone mentioned that they have a
> bagpiper whoc accompanies thr group. Now I'd be inclined to permit a
> bagpiper to augment the combatants with their Play ability... is this
> analogous to missile fire?

  More analogous to Cheerleaders; though armed, heavily muscled, and bearded   ones :-).

  Seriously (or at least *more* seriously) if augmenting a group you could   explain it as "playing stirring music to fire the blood". The clan probably   has a couple tunes that are "ours" for warfare (and others for reaping or   sowing, or driving cattle to market), so an enemy piper won't be stirring   *our* blood, nor will out piper stir theirs.

  Alternatively, the piper can "attack" the enemy with the pipe tune,   functioning much like the barratus of the ancient Germans, or the "Rebel   Yell" of the American Civil War. Either way, the tune is affecting Morale   more than actual fighting ability or wounds. This works best against   opponents that aren't used to them, of course...

  I can even see a piper loaning APs to a hero by playing a tune specially for   him - "Oddi is being driven back, play _The Alynx of the North_ to give him   heart!"

  There *is* a reason that pipes were declared weapons of War (along with   muskets, swords, targes, pikes and even dirks) after the '45.

  And yes, I * have* heard most of the pipe jokes out there, having several   Piper friends.

  Other instruments of a loud and stirring quality could be used like this -   drums are good, as are horns or even massed fifes and drums (check out any   Revolutionary War film, or Barry Lyndon or Little Big Man for fife&drum   corps in warfare). All loud musical instruments can also be used for   signalling orders as well, of course, whether by saying "Look at the   standard to get further orders" or simply "Attack when you hear three blasts   on the cornu"

  RR

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  To Post a message, send it to: hw-rules_at_...   To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: hw-rules-unsubscribe_at_...   To Complain constructively please email me at steve_at_....