Re: Re: the pipes

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:30:12 -0800

> I'm not sure about in battle directly, but I vaguely recall some
> general type from the first world war remarking that when you'd
> marched the men to exhaustion, if you got the pipes going you could
> be sure to get at least another few miles out of them. Sounds like a
> clear example of AP lending to me!

Our group made many walks to the pipes without noticing the distance, and we had women & children (very vocal, usually, about being tired and wanting a rest when Aaron wasn't piping us) in the march. A good marching band (of any kind) will produce the same effect.

My favorite time (gather 'round children, Uncle Rory is getting settled for another digression down memory lane) was one of the re-enactment weekends we did at the Pt. Reyes seashore (we took out only period gear as much as possible and roughed it for a few days). A troop of Boy Scouts looked at us in our gear, and especially our women with pack-loads, and me in bare feet, and made disparaging comments about how far we'd get up the trail before turning around and going home, then took off. We waited around for a few more people, then took off up the trail about 1/2 hour behind them. About an hour into the trip we came on the Scouts resting, and blew past them without stopping (though we did have some comments about "kids these days"). And this was under full packs, plus assorted weaponry (up to and including half-pikes and lochaber axes).

RR