limited devotion?

From: bethexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:56:33 -0000

I know it isn't canon, but has anyone experimented with allowing devotion to a sub-cult without devotion to the wider aspect or deity?

This came up when I was trying to model someone who is closely attached to a godling that is worshipped through a broader cult. Devoted to Hedkoranth, but not so special with the storms of O.T. for example (well, as Jeff might have guessed, my original situation was devoted to Mastakos without being devoted to O.A.).

There are a few reasons you might want to do this:

1- The hero concept includes mastery of a narrow area of magic, without access to much other specialized magic (an Elmali who has great abilities with horses, but doesn't know the deeper parts of Elmali combat or brightness magic).

2- The hero concept includes great attachment to a particular godling, but doesn't include the hero being quite full time involved with worship. For example, a herder renowned for his ability with thunderstones, but still a full time herder all the same.

The hero would have access to the feats of the particular sub-cult devoted to, but only access to the two affinities given by the broader aspect or god (Can call upon each of Mastakos feats, but can only generally call upon Orlanth Adventurous for more general aid with combat or movement).

Presumably the narrow devotion would take another 10% of time and resources....maybe make it 15% to discourage abuse.

Has anyone tried anything like this? If so, were you happy with your solution? Anyone have thoughts to offer on how this would fit, culture and rules wise?

Regards;

Bryan