Re: Re: Truestone and cosmic mountain/world tree

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:21:53 +1300

At 13:19 20/12/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I agree with this and would expand upon it. Do all cultures even know what
>Truestone is?

The Mostali do and its derivative material, Adamant, is known in Pelanda (the Immortal Crown of Oronin) and in Safelster (the Seven Shots of Felster) and throughout the west (Arkat's Unbreakable Sword).

>Many cultures, IMO, don't have truestone and don't know what it is. The
>Dara Happans have no myths that include the Spike.

But they could still know what truestone is and might associate it with Mount Jernalf (not that the entire mountain is made of truestone but that the highest reaches are). All that's said about the Block is that it's the best known source of truestone in the world.

>Neither do any other Pelorian
>cultures. I can't speak for the Western cultures but I haven't seen
>anything suggesting that they have the Spike in their myths either.

They do have the Spike in their myths. It's apparently part of a great wall that Zzabur creates in the east to hold back the Churkenos sea (Revealed Mythologies p7) but elsewhere it's said to be created by the gods in imitation of Malkion's citadel (RM p4). It's destroyed by a spell by Zzabur (RM p10). Likewise the Doraddi also know the Spike as the evil mountain of Bandaku while the Vithelans call it Imadsalash.

>Likewise for the Pentans.

And also for the people of the Holy Country who believe that Kerofin was the First Mountain and that there has always been a whirlpool in the Homeward Ocean.

--Peter Metcalfe