Re: Re: Gaining a Godi occupation keyword in play

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:01:14 -0800

> > I am begining to think that my character should become a godi in play.
> > Apart from the social aspects of being recognised as a godi, are
> > there any thoughts on how I should do this in rules terms?
>
> Spend one Hero Point to cement the social recognition, same as
> anything else you want to be permanent.

Note that it is *social recognition* that you are buying, not an "occupation". Unlike most other template-based games, there are no "new lines of skills" or "lesser costs for skills" or "skills only this template can learn" for HW occupations. The keywords are simply a quick way of creating a character and/or describing an NPC. After character creation, you don't need to hew to the skills the occupation gave you, you can branch out and become whatever you want. The abilities given in the keywords are simply those that help you "do the job" or are "on-the-job training". If you want to be a hunter, go out and hunt. If you want to be a Sword-thane, then brush up on your combat skills and fight where the chief or war-leader can see you. If you want to talk to the gods, get them to talk back! Some "occupations" require you to get the attention of someone (Thanes), some need politics (Chief, Clan Priest), and some just require that you perform the normal tasks associated with it (Farmer, Hunter). Some require special skills (Healer), and some are so simple anyone can do them (Stickpicker).

But in no case do you need to "buy" an occupation. I might award "Swordthane" status on a PC who had proved his mettle before the chief, and give him a "free" Relationship with the chief (for deeds "Above and beyond the call of a mere warrior", like saving the chief's life or defeating an enemy champion in single combat). On the other hand, I might make the PC buy the relationship because he hasn't done anything but bug the chief every chance he gets. For a PC that wants to be chief, I probably would run an election, and the more HP he spent on raising Relationships, the better his chances will be, but he wuldn't need to spend an HP to "cement" the office (as a matter of fact, since it can be taken away at any time by unhappy clansmen, I don't think I would *allow* it to be cemented. His actions as chief will serve as the "cement" if he wants to keep the office, and he'll be spending plenty of HP (and loot...) to keep the clan members happy...)

RR