Re: Re: Flaw examples please

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:41:05 +0000

>So thought I. However, Roderick has pointed out that there is an
>important rules difference between a flaw and a non-flaw ability:
>flaws cost HP to reduce in rating, whereas non-flaws cost HP to
>increase in rating. The Narrator must therefore be careful that
>players do not excessively use flaws to their advantage.

On the whole I don't worry about the difference - players do that for me. If players think it is a flaw, they will pay to reduce it. If they feel it is an advantage, they will pay to increase it.

I'd still say that the distinction between flaws and other abilities is artificial. Allowing any ability to be either increased OR decreased at the standard hero point costs. The only real issue is characters can have flaws for free at creation time. None of my players have ever taken one, so I don't have this problem, but it is a rules issue. Maybe I would allow it in the most obvious cases, but I can see too many ways of getting advantage from any flaw I can think of. Dropping the rule makes most sense to me.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson