RE: Re: Flaw examples please

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:49:34 -0000

On Wednesday, January 09, 2002 10:33 AM, Benedict Adamson wrote:

> So thought I. However, Roderick has pointed out that there is an
> important rules difference between a flaw and a non-flaw ability:
> flaws cost HP to reduce in rating, whereas non-flaws cost HP to
> increase in rating. The Narrator must therefore be careful that
> players do not excessively use flaws to their advantage.

Speaking as an evil Narrator, I'm perfectly happy for players to occasionally use Flaws to their "advantage" (though I agree with you that it shouldn't happen excessively, so if they try that they *will* suffer as a result of my displeasure). If they do, I'll usually insist on increasing the rating of the flaw by one or two.

This increase in the rating, of course, only makes the Flaw that much more significant on the occasions when I, as the rules give me license to do, use it *against* the player. By giving the player the choice to bring the Flaw into play in a "positive" way, I'm merely tempting him into storing up more trouble for himself later. <evil cackle>

Regards,

Bruce