Re: Re: Flaw examples please

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:10:16 +0000

>I think the discussion on how 'useful' a flaw COULD be is missing the
>point. To me a 'flaw' is something that hampers the character's
>everyday, or at least common-event, life. One of my characters has
>'Frail and Gaunt' - it gives her a negative edge in combat, and a
>handicap when attempting strength or toughness tasks. But she's a
>Spirit-talker, so she's got a spirit that'll let her snap people's
>spines... Another has both 'Poor Speech' and 'Colour Blind' - but
>he's a Minotaur*, what do you expect?

But, my point is that ANY flaw can (and will!) be used positively by a creative player. Thus :

"I try to get X's sympathy - I augment with Frail and Gaunt"

"Me No Understand Hooman"

"I swear by Humakt that I would never attack anyone I KNOW is wearing RED."

Maybe this isn't common in your group, but it is in some groups. Players will (in my experience) get MORE creative with flaws than anything else. I play a bit loose with the rules - a flaw is anything they want rid of, an ability is anything they want to increase, and anything written on the character sheet can be used against them, especially if they have been overly fond of it...

I suspect the differences in opinion are largely down to playing style - if the rules work for you great. And in that case I WOULD keep Wulf's points about 'Hate Lunar' in mind (as I recall, the original comment was about 'Hunted by Lunars', though). If the rules seem arbitrary or redundant to you, ignore 'em.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson