Re: Re: Flaw examples please

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:38:56 +0000

Benedict replies to me :
> > anything written on the
> > character sheet can be used against them, especially if they have been
> > overly fond of it...
>
>I'm against that. Abilities should be advantages. If the player wants
>something to be used against them, they should declare it as a flaw.
>'Hate Lunars' could be taken as an ability OR a flaw. The
>alternatives should have different results. Using abilities against
>players undermines the choice the player has made, by diminishing the
>distinction.

If you stick to the distinction between flaws and other abilities AND your players do not regularly (meaning more than once in a blue moon) use flaws to their advantages, I agree with you. However my comment was made in the context of dropping the distinction between flaws and other abilities. Even then, I wouldn't use the players abilities against them regularly - just the occassional reminder that everything has its costs. I doubt there is anyone who doesn't do this - "As your relationship to the chief/combat ability/magical skills/whatever is so high, the chief has chosen to send you on the following dangerous/unpleasant mission..."

As I said before, most of the disagreements here are really coming down to play style differences between groups.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson