Re: Daimones (essences/spirits etc..)

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:32:32 -0000

Wesley Quadros wrote:
> How long does a daimone hang around after being summoned and
given a task to do?

I would say until he decides to go, or is banished. Note that summoning brings them from the Otherworld into this. You still have to bargain, with, coerce etc. to get them to do your bidding. Summoning does not imply control. Summoning a daimon who is a servant of your god is obviously safer (he is more likely to do you a favour and leave afterwards) than an alien one. Daimones who are summoned are justlike daimones who break through the barrier by themselves, NPCs with whom the heroes must negotiate ("Have my first born child, dark one of the woods"). Think about their personality. They have their own agenda, just because you summon an Umbroli and he agrees to help you does not mean he is going to hang around after he has done a job. After all he is of the wind, no one can make him do anything, he wants tbe free, so he'll probably blow right out of there, unless you convince him to stay longer.

Wulf wrote
> I've wondered about that too... As we still do't have anything in
the rules to govern the resistance to summoning either, the whole use of daimones is somewhat shrouded in mist.

The daimon of the Red Grove in the Rising Dark episode is probably are best clues (the contest descriptions there are helpful for thinking abut rituals). The demon reisists banishment with his might, so I would assume they would resist summoning in the same way. Now AR tells us that most do not have might so its not exact, but like heroes, I suggest that they would resist with their strongest, most relevant ability, or a minimum of 14. Seeing as daimones (according to Anaxial'r Roster) have affinites at the same level as their Initiate of [X] or Devotee of[X] they could be a good fall back ablity if nothing else inspires you.

Of course most rituals will probably get bonuses for items, places, holy days etc. IMO much easier to do in your carefully drawn pentacle (or whatever) and outside of combat.

Ian Cooper